Saturday, April 28, 2012

Do you see what I see?

It's not finished, but I was so excited that the raised browband and noseband worked out okay for this bridle, I just had to share!

I've always had trouble with raised browbands, but I think I found a method that works with it. Jennifer Buxton (I always try to call her Jennifer Braymere, hehe) recommends waxed linen thread, but I haven't really been able to find it, so I had been plaiting basic cotton thread, which didn't create a consistent raised shape (it was also a bit lost under the leather). So this time I tried using 0.4mm Chinese nylon knotting cord - you can get it from Tangles n Knots in lots of colours - and success!

I just need to add some padding (the brow and nosebands look a bit too narrow to me) and a tongue on the noseband, and straighten the wonky crownpiece, and it will be finished.


Sunday, April 8, 2012

Boring bridles

I'll talk about my experimental saddle #2 in another post. I just wanted to share today's work with you.

A sale piece - classic huntseat bridle for the loping mare.

 An order for WH - it is heading to her to be shown at Goulburn live show this coming weekend.

And a not-so-boring bridle - oh how I loves me some colour!

Obviously it still needs reins. I'm just trying to decide whether I should make a (racing) saddle to go with it, or sell as-is.

And yes, I finally have a Ruffian body!

Sunday, April 1, 2012


On Friday I received an item lot of skiver scraps from MHSP.

Skiver! I have real skiver - and lots of it! Two shades of brown, a black, plus natural (not pictured).

There's also a bag of tooling leather scraps and and chamois scraps too. I can't wait to start using it all!