Saturday, October 9, 2010

Creating with a purpose

So I saw an ad on Haynet a few days ago, asking for donations to support the Swedish Nationals live show. Coming from a small group of hobbyists (I'm looking at you, Australia), I'm always happy to try and support outlier shows.

I sat and thought for a bit, and dug through my supplies box for inspiration. Ah ha! Hiding in the bottom of my traditional bits I found an etched Pelham bit. I don't even remember buying this bit - it might have been from my very first Rio Rondo order - probably at least four years ago. I was pleased to be able to put it to good use.

After some work I came up with a grackle noseband bridle, but then  I had a change of heart towards the end, and swapped out the bit (after braiding the reins, ugh) for a snaffle bit instead. So this is what I'll be donating:

MORE braided reins! Twice in one day! Someone check my forehead. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. It even has double keepers - a first for me. And yes, I'll trim the flash before it goes. :P

Earlier in the week I'd been looking through Horse Deals and spotted this bridle on the front cover of the Stallions edition.

I thought for a while how to best replicate the centre piece, and ended up with a heart-shaped 2mm nail art rhinestone from eBay.

It's not brilliant, but I do think it is really cute! (Ignore the bridle, look at the browband. Browband only! And yes, there's that pelham bit from the donation bridle above. Unfinished, obviously.) I have some 3mm triangle rhinestones on order, but I don't know if they will be too big. I guess we'll just have to wait and see when they arrive. When I attempt this browband again, I think I'll try it on a V-style browband, and attempt to sew straight this time.

The other project I finished last week was a couple of bridles for my classic QH mares. I lost the previous black bridle I had made, so I made another, and of course Delta needed her own; she's so fussy on colour.

Following on from my brief fling last week with silver Western show halters, I attempted to make Delta one, and failed, although not miserably.At first I made the throatlatch too long, so I shortened it, but now it's too short (of course). Something else is also off too, but I can't put my finger on it. I wonder if the noseband is too long... (I know now that the noseband holder-upright thingies are only used on halters that use round rings, not halter rings. Oops!)

No comments:

Post a Comment